Birdwatching in Costa Rica is an activity that has grown over the years, due to its natural resources, the country has a wide variety of birds throughout its territory. For example, the Corcovado National Park has a list of more than 375 species of birds (this number is higher than all species in the Canadian territory) and the highest numbers of unique species on the isthmus.
Don’t you believe us? We are happy to share with you the Osa Península´s bird check list.
Birdwatching goes beyond observing the birds, since those who practice it deepen their knowledge of these species: classification, behavior, different sounds that these animals emit to communicate and more.
The Ornithological Association of Costa Rica, founded since 1993, is a non-profit organization that is responsible for the study and research of wild birds in the country, they perform related activities and tours for bird watching where anyone can be part.
Birdwatching in Costa Rica: Tips for a unforgettable tour.
Birdwatching, or birding, is a form of wildlife observation in which the observation is done with scientific purposes or as a recreational activity. It can be done on different ways, since those who practice with the naked eye, or even those experienced people that prefer to do it by listening for bird sounds.
Here we offer some tips to have a bird watching tour in unforgettable:
- Bring some good binoculars: In Costa Rica you can see many birds up close, however, there are also some that are usually found in the treetops or more distant from people, so bring good binoculars will allow you to see more of these wonderful animals and their thousands of details. The ideal is to have quality binoculars, the most accessible in the market are the Nikon and Steiner; however, if you want to make an investment for the best in the market, you can also buy Kite or Swarovski. If you want to now more about it you can read the article about the Best Binoculars for Bird Watching from Economy to Best of the Best (2018)
- Photographic camera: Get ready to have the best pictures! Do not forget your camera where you can also see the birds more closely and you can capture all its colors and details. If you want your photos to look more professional, then remember to also carry a tripod, so you can make sure your photo is worthy of a magazine.
- Use apps for bird knowledge: about birdwatching, the new technologies allow us, not only improve the observations, but share them. A great application to venture into birdwatching is Ebird. With this application you can find types of birds according to the regions, have a record of your photos and sounds, explore observations around the world and even contribute about your knowledge. It will be a tool that will bring great knowledge to you and the world!
- Pay attention to your guide: Guides are most of the time local people, they know the place, they grow surrounded by these amazing creatures, they can explain everything about birds, from their sounds and their physical characteristics to their customs.
At Finca Exotica Ecolodge we know about Birdwatching in Costa Rica, and we offer you a birdwatching tour with expert guides, they, in addition to enriching this tour with their knowledge, will guide you and help you to not let a single bird escapes from your sight.
Want to know more? Check the information in our website or please contact us, cause If you are a bird lover or want to venture into birdwatching, we assure you that Costa Rica and Corcovado National Park are ideal places to do it.
* Melissa Jiménez is a journalism graduate from the Universidad Latina de Costa Rica. Writer of articles on nature, yoga, cinema and related topics. Blog: https://melissajimenezcr.wordpress.com/
* Photography by Philipp Boersch-Supan. firstname.lastname@example.org